Muli Ka Saag (Radish Greens)


I just realized that I have been obsessed with cooking typical Oriya food . I guess I need to visit  India and have some food made by Mom. I really miss her cooking . 
Mom used to grow a lot of vegetables, fruits and greens in our garden. I remember my Mom and Dad spending lot of weekends working in the garden.
Mom used almost all the parts of plants best to her ability and everytime she gave us something to really relish.Here is one more from my mom's kitchen. 

Mula Saaga or Muli ka Saag made with Radish Leaves is a massively popular saag item from Orissa.It is nutritious and easy to cook. 

Ingredients:

  1. Radish leaf (mula saaga): 50 gm I used the leaves from a bunch of radish that I bought at my local farmere's market.
  2. Vegetables: 1 cup cut (vegetables like potato ,eggplant,  and radish may be used)
  3. Grate Coconut: 1/3 cup 
  4.  Oil: 2 tbsp
  5. Mustard paste (sorisha bata): 2 tbsp
  6. Red Chillies: 2 full
  7. Panch phootan:1 tsp
  8. Turmeric: 1 tsp
  9. Badi / Bodi (badi): 5-6
  10. Salt to taste

Procedure:
Wash the radish leaves well and cut into small pieces.
Heat oil on a frying pan.
Add one teaspoon paanch phootan and the red chillies.
Fry until the same crackles.
Add the radish leaves and vegetables and sauté for 2 mins. 
Now add the mustard paste with a bit of water
Add turmeric powder and salt, mix well, cover and cook till the vegetables are cooked through.
After they are cooked through add grated coconut with fried badi (This step is optional. If you don't have either or both, you don't have to use them)
Mix well and cook for another 3-4 mins.
Turn of the heat and serve hot.

Tastes superb with Pakhala.
Till then Happy Blogging
Rakhee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)