Idli


Idli is a traditional breakfast in south Indian households. Idli is savory cake of south Indian origin popular throughout India. 
Most often eaten at breakfast or as a snack, idlis are usually served in pairs with chutney, sambar, or other accompaniments. 
I am not a huge fan of eating idli in restaurants, the only place I love to eat idli is at home. My mom makes the amazing idli, its fluffy, soft and yummy. I have been trying to make idlies like her for a long time, I tried frementing it for longer period of time, adding Eno for quick fermentation, nothing worked. Finally I surrendered and asked mom her secret, she said it needs a little more elbow grease!!!!
Her's are so fluffy and soft because she mixes the batter real well to incorporate enough air before letting it ferment. So I did the same and got the perfect idli ...... YOHO!!!!

Ingredients:

  1. Urad Dal: 1 cup
  2. Rice: 1 cup 
  3. Salt : 1 tbsp
  4. Water: 1/4 cup

Procedure:
Soak the Dal and rice over night.
Grind the dal and rice into a not so smooth batter.
Try using as less water as possible while grinding.
Once all the dal and rice is ground add salt to it and mix well.
Here is the most important step : I took my hand mixer with the whisk attachment and used it on the batter for 4-5 mins. This will incorporate enough air to the batter. My Mom used to beat the batter with hand and a ladle for quite some time to achieve the result, ohh I got it so easy ;)
Ok after this I let the batter sit in a covered container in my oven with the light  till the batter almost doubles in amount. For me it was overnight. 
In colder days keep the batter would take longer.
Once you are ready to cook, beat the batter again with little water. Before adding the water the batter was the same consistency that we use for Vada, but for idli we need a little thinner batter. Not too thin though. Just right for pouring.
In a rice cooker take 1/4 cup of water. Turn it on and put it on keep warm mode for 2-4 mins.
In the mean while oil the idli maker plates and pour 1 tbsp of batter in each frame.

Place the idli maker in the rice cooker and change the mode to smart steam for 15 mins.
If you don't have a rice cooker, use a conventional pressure cooker with same amount of water and time just don't put the whistle on.
Once the timmer goes of let it sit on keep warm mode for 2-3 mins before you open the lid.

Use a butter knife to remove the idlis.
Serve them with sambhar or chutney. 

In Orissa we enjoy idli with ghuguni.
Till then happy blogging
Rakhee


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)