Poori Aloo ki Sabji


I love the smell of poori being fried in the morning. The truth is its not just morning, its any time of the day. Every time I cook it, or see somebody cooking it , I remember the advertisement for Sundrop where a kid would be summersaulting in a hip of pooris ;) as a kid I used to think wow how lucky that kid must be!!!!
I know its weird but, what can I say I am a big time foodie !!!!
What I serve with poori you ask, the answer is everything, gobi aloo, dum aloo, chicken, egg bhurji, you name it and I have tried it.
But my favorite is poori and aloo pani (aloo curry).
Aloo pani is my Mom's recipe. Its very simple and and be prepared in a jiffy.
So here I am going to share my love with you :)

Ingredients:
Poori:
  1. Aata (Wheat Flour) – 1cup
  2. Luke Warm water: about 1/2 cup use more if required
  3. Salt: 1/2tsp
  4. oil:1sp
  5. Water
  6. Refined oil -for deep frying
Aloo Pani (Aloo curry):
  1. Potato-1 large cubed
  2. Tomato-1 large cubed
  3. Green Chilli: 2 whole
  4. Turmeric powder -1 tsp
  5. mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
  6. salt- as per taste
  7. Oil: 1 tbsp
  8. Coriander Leaves: 1 tsp finely chopped
PREPARATION : 
Aloo Pani:
In a pan heat oil.
Add the mustard seeds to the oil.
When the mustard seeds  stop cracking add the potato cubes and stir nicely.
Cook the potato cubes in the oil for 1 min or so then add 1/2 cup water to the pan.
Add salt to taste, tomato, green chillis and turmeric powder, stir well, and cover and cook till the potatoes are cooked through.
Remove the lid, check for salt and add little water if need. 
While string mash up the tomatoes and few potato cubes into the gravy.
Turn of the heat once you have achieved the desired consistency( I prefer it runny).
Add the chopped coriander leaves. 
and you aloo pani is ready.

Poori:
Sift together the flour, salt and oil (2 tps) and add just enough water to form smooth dough. 
I really don't measure the water, usd to prepare the dough, so its about 1/2 cup. But go slow, add litle water at a time, so that your dough doesn't get runny.
Let the dough sit wrapped in a wet kitchen towel for 20 mins, this way the dough would be very easy to roll and would not soak a lot of oil while deep frying.
Heat oil in a frying pan.
Make small balls from the above dough, flatten each ball into a round shape. Don't roll the poori very thin, else it will become crispy.
The size depends on the size of frying pan. Mine is really small so my poori is really not very big and Tanmaya can eat 8-10 of these ;)
To check if the oil is ready drop a small ball of dough and if it sizzles and floats to the surface immediately, then your oil is ready.
The trick to get the fluffiest and soft pooris is to turn the poori as soon as it gets all puffed up.

Fry the pooris till it turns golden brown from each side. 
Remove it from oil and place it on a paper towel to drain excess oil. 
Serve it hot with aloo pani and enjoy.
My only regret is my pooris don't continue to remain puffed up like in the advertisement :)
I hope you also enjoy this quick breakfast with you family as much I do.

Till then Happy Blogging
Rakhee

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chicken Biryani in Rice cooker

Green Papaya Curry

Aloo Bharta ( Orissa Style Mashed Potato)